Survivors of the Abuja-Kaduna train attack narrated how terrorists shot at them. At least eight persons have been confirmed dead and many feared abducted while 26 persons were injured and are receiving treatment at two hospitals in Kaduna.
“We have a lot of insecurity in Nigeria,” Fatima Shaibu, one of the survivors who spoke to our reporter said. “By road, we are not safe, by train we are not safe.”
Eight Dead, 26 Injured In Kaduna Train Attack
The Kaduna State Government on Tuesday said it has obtained a detailed passenger manifest for the Abuja-Kaduna train which was attacked by terrorists.
“According to the documents received, 398 passengers bought tickets for the trip, but 362 were validated as having boarded the train through the recognized turnstile,” a statement signed by the State Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs, Samuel Aruwan, said.
“The passenger manifest does not include NRC staff and security officials who were on board.” According to the state government, eight bodies were recovered and 26 persons were injured during the attack.
“Investigations are still ongoing to ascertain the status of the passengers who were onboard the train and remain unaccounted for at the time of this update. Search operations are also being sustained.
“Citizens are requested to contact the Kaduna State Emergency Management Agency on the phone line 09088923398, to make inquiries or provide information regarding passengers who were on board the Abuja-Kaduna train AK9.”
Trade Union Secretary Killed In Abuja-Kaduna Train Attack
The secretary-general of the Trade Union Congress, Musa-Lawal Ozigi, has been reportedly killed during the Abuja-Kaduna train attack. The Kwara State Chairman of the TUC, Akin Akinsola, is said to have also been killed during the unfortunate incident.
This is according to a statement signed by the TUC President, Quadri Olaleye. “Comrade Ozigi served in the capacity of General Secretary, Construction and Civil Engineering Senior Staff Association (CCESSA), an affiliate of TUC for almost two decades before he joined the Congress in 2012,” the statement said.
“Comrade Akinsola was a staff of Dangote Flour Mill under OLAM. They were both seasoned Trade Unionists. “As it stands, nowhere is safe now – we cannot travel by air, the road is not safe and neither is the rail. Is Nigeria a failed state? It is unfortunate.
“The Congress condoles with the families and friends of our comrades and the good people of Kogi State for this irreparable loss.” The Kaduna State Government on Tuesday said it had recovered eight bodies from the site of the attack.
“Investigations are still ongoing to ascertain the status of the passengers who were onboard the train and remain unaccounted for at the time of this update. Search operations are also being sustained,” the state government said in a statement.
Katsina Commissioner For Health Shot In Kaduna-Abuja Attack
Katsina State Commissioner for Health, Nuhu Danja, has been confirmed to be among those who sustained gunshot wounds in the Kaduna-Abuja train attack.
An official in the State Ministry of Health, Ibrahim Almu Gafai disclosed this on Tuesday. Sources said two fingers of his toe were completely removed as he was shot in the leg.
Following the bandits’ attack on an Abuja-Kaduna-bound train conveying hundreds of travelers many of the travelers were killed in the attack and others were abducted.
Security agents have since been deployed to the scene while the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) has suspended train operations along the Abuja-Kaduna route till further notice.
Meanwhile, the Chief of Defence Staff, Gen Lucky Irabor, the Inspector General of Police, Usman Alkali, Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi have been to the scene of the attack.
We’ve Lost More Than N3bn To Abuja-Kaduna Train Attack – Amaechi
Minister of Transportation Rotimi Amaechi said it will take more than N3 billion to replace what had been lost to the attack on the Abuja-Kaduna rail route.
Terrorists had attacked a train on the route on Monday, killing at least eight persons. Many are also believed to have been abducted. Mr. Amaechi, speaking to reporters after visiting the scene of the attack, said the unfortunate event could have been avoided if N3 billion in digital security equipment had been acquired. “We knew what the problem would be. We knew we needed to have digital security equipment. We applied for it.
“Because if we had that equipment, you will see nobody on that track. And I warned that lives will be lost. Now, lives are lost. Eight persons were dead, and 26 persons were in the hospital. We don’t know how many persons have been kidnapped. And the cost of that equipment is just N3 billion. The cost of what we’ve lost is more than N3 billion. We’ve lost tracks, we’ve lost locomotives and coaches. We’ve lost human beings. And the equipment is just N3 billion.
“To fix all the things on that track now, will cost us more than N3 billion. And now even the things we said give us the approval to buy – at the time we asked for it, the dollar was N400, now it is N500. When you come with sincerity to government and your colleagues and people are stopping you, it is annoying.”