African Travel Quarterly, (Atqnews.com), has unveiled a shortlist of Diaspora winners of the Africa Travel 100 Global personalities awards. The 15th Akwaaba, African Travel Market is from 22nd to 24th of September 2019.
The award recognises personalities of African origin, living in Africa or outside the continent, irrespective of their current citizenship or nationality that has been contributing to the development of the continent and its Diaspora in the area of Tourism and Travel.
This comes as plans to launch a Global Tourism Association for Tourism players in Africa and the Diaspora nears completion.
The African Travel 100 Global Personalities award will take place during the 15th AKWAABA African Travel Market at Eko Hotels and Suites, Victoria Island, Lagos on the 23rd of September, 2019.
The award is expected to honor personalities in the travel and tourism sector that have exemplified themselves in the industry and contributed to the growth of the sector in Africa and the Diaspora.
The event will be part of the First African Tourism Diaspora Conference 2019. The Conference is expected to draw top tourism personalities from around the world to Lagos Nigeria.
African Tourism Diaspora Conference 2019 is to mark the 400 years of slavery. Slavery is a very sensitive topic that has created an uncomfortable relationship between Africa and its Diaspora. The Conference is an opportunity to celebrate the merging of Africans, Americans, Caribbean’s and the rest of the world during this memorable gathering expected in Lagos.
Africa with 54 countries and a population of 1.2 billion has an unbelievable tourist attraction. The Caribbean and African Diaspora have a unique culture, rich heritage and beautiful destinations for tourists, hence the need to connect and combine these wonderful cultures and population, creating a huge global market.
The African Diaspora Tourism Conference presents a platform to discuss, initiate, dialogue and celebrate a new relationship.
However, the recognition of Africa as a beacon of hope for African people living on the continent and in the Diaspora to explore, relate and live using the African Diaspora Tourism Conference as the African Platform for the foundation of this long-lasting relationship.
Posterity will remember that the improvement was earned not by coincidence but by conscious efforts to validate the struggles, strengths, and linkages between African descendants on a Pan-African scale.
The African Diaspora and Africa have the same unique culture, rich heritage and beautiful destinations for Tourism and Trade, therefore, there is the need to connect and combine these wonderful cultures and population as a market for mutual benefit.
The Africa Travel 100 Awards now in her 18th year, has recognized over the years leaders, industry practitioners, and the government officials who have promoted tourism and improved travel using unique platforms and new information.
Some of the past award targeted at bringing the African Travel and Tourism Practitioners together projects include;
African Diaspora Global Tourism Personalities
Minister Edmund Barlett – Jamaica’s Minister of tourism
Rosemary Sadlier – Promoting Black Cultural Heritage in Canada
Dr. Eugene Franklin – Chairman, Pan African Cultural Heritage Institute.
Diallo Sumbry – First Ambassador of African-America Tourism to Ghana.
Carol Hay – Director of Marketing Caribbean Tourism Organisation, Uk and Europe.
Professor Thomas Mensah – Ghanaian / American Pioneer in fiber Optic technology, Author “The right stuff comes in Black too”.
Fabien Anthony- Chairman & Co-Founder Pan-African Council
Kitty Pope – Creator, Africa Diaspora World Tourism Awards
Eric Martin & Kent Johnson – Founders of Black and Abroad
Cherae Robinson – Founder Tastemakers Africa
Macaulay Kalu – Chairman, African Union 6th Region.
Dr. ArikanaChihombori-Quao – African Union ambassador to the U.S
Carolyn Anderson – Founder, Beyond All Borders.
Danny Rivers Mitchell – Founders Black Girls Travel Too
Kumi Rauf – CEO, I Love Being Black
Jessica Nabongo – Founder/ CEO Jet Black
Rozan Ahmed – Cultural Institute Creative Writer.
INITIAL SHORTLIST OF AFRICAN WINNERS
1 Rohan Vos…….Owner of Rovos Rail (South Africa)
Frank Nneji…..Owner of ABC Transport (Nigeria)
TewoldeGabrielmariam…..GCEO of Ethiopian Airlines
RahelAssefa…VP Ethiopian Airlines, Africa’s Top Ranked Lady Aviator
Chief Allen Onyema…Chairman Air Peace, Africa’s biggest Privately Owned Airline.
Captain Solomon Quianoo… Africa’s Top A380 Pilot (Ghana)
Chief TogbeAfede…Chairman Africa World Airlines
Girma Wake – Former CEO Ethiopian Airline
Mr. Valentine Tongo – CEO, Allied Air
Capt. Edward Boyo – MD, Overland Airways
Capt. Ado Sanusi – CEO, Aero Contractor
Past African Legend of Travel Winners
- WaturiWaMatu…Travel Professional (Kenya)
- Captain DestaZeru…First African Captain of B787 Dreamliner (Ethiopia)
- Captain Irene Koki Mutungi …Africa’s Top Female Pilot. (Kenya)
- KumneggerTeketel…MICE Promoter and Event Organiser. (Ethiopia)
- Wolfgang Thome….online Publisher, ATC News
- Jason Njoku – Publisher & Promoter IROKO TV Nigeria
- Nick Fadugba – Publisher African Aviation
- NajibBalala… Tourism Minister Kenya and CAF UNWTO President.
- ElsiaGrandcourt…Africa Representative UNWTO. (Seychelles)
- Alain St. Ange… Former Minister of Tourism Seychelles
- Ambassador Dr. Eriaka Bennett- Head of mission AU Diaspora office
- EimanKheir – Head of Diaspora Division, Citizens & Diaspora Organisations, AU.
- Stella Fubara – Director, International Operations Africa, Dubai Tourism.
- Adama Bah – Founder, West African Branch, International Centre for Responsible Tourism
Hospitality/ facility owners
- AtoTadiwosBelete… Kuriftu resort. (Ethiopia)
- Tony Elumelu….Chairman Transcorp Hotels. (Nigeria)
- Oskar Ibru…IbruOrganisations leading Hospitality investor. (Nigeria)
- Professor Nzamujo… Proprietor Songhai integrated Agricultural center. (Benin)
- Mr. SamihSawiris …Proprietor El Gouna Resort. (Egypt)
- Joe Osawaye – Managing Partner, KIZA Tomorrow Africa
- Julie Dabaly Scott…Managing Director, Carlson Wagonlit Travel.
- Femi Adefope… Nigeria Travel Business Owner. ( HRG, CWT, GHI, APG)
- Richard Akerele… Logistics and Airlines Support Services. (ASL Newrest)
- TaiwoAfolabi…Chairman SIFAX Airport Logistics
- SijabulisoThabaniBiyan – Board Chairman, Rainbow Tourism Group
- ZainabAnseil… CEO, Zara Tours Tanzania
- UlomaEgbuna…Tour Brokers International, Emirate Holidays, Royal Carribean. (Nigeria)
- Amos Wekesa…MD, Great Lakes Safaris Limited.
MICE Promoter Governor Ben Ayade… Organizer Carnival Calabar
Rick Taylor…MICE Expert (South Africa)
Rabbi Kohain – Executive Director Panafest (Ghana)
Tom Kunkler – OrganiserKilifair and SITES (Tanzania)
Sen Florence Ita-Giwa – Band leader, Carnival Calabar
Heritage & Culture
- Professor ZahiHawass – Egyptologist and Former Curator of the Heritage of the Pharaohs
- Ooni of Ife, Oba AdeyeyeEnitanOgunwusi – King of Yorubas and Promoter of Olojo Festival
- Emir of Kano, SanusiLamidoSanusi – Custodian of Kano walls and Durbar Festival
- Oba Ewuare II – Custodian of Benin Moat and Igue Festival
- Obi of Onitsha, Nnaemeka Alfred Achebe – Ofala Festival.
- King Mswati – Swaziland Reeds Dance Umhlanga Festival.
- OtumfuoOsei Tutu II – AKwasidae Festival (Kumasi, Ghana).
- Otunba Olusegun Runsewe – Director-General, National Council For Arts and Culture (NCAC)
- Stephen Rwangyezi – Founder, Ndere Cultural Centre, Kampala, Uganda.
- MsSthembisoDlamini – COO, South African Tourism