The Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) has issued Advisory Circular to intimate pilots, operators and other stakeholders about dust haze (harmattan) and safety approach to adopt.
A statement issued by the General Manager, Public Relations, NCAA Sam Adurogboye said that the Advisory Circular AC: NCAA-AEROMET-28 dated November 12, 2019 is intended to alert pilots to the hazards associated with dust haze which is a dry and dusty wind that blows south from the Sahara across Nigeria and that this situation is expected to persist till March, 2020.
As issued by the Nigerian Meteorological Agency in its Seasonal Rainfall Prediction Bulletin-2019, the cessation of the rainy season is predicted from mid-October (in the Northern part) to early December, 2019 (in the Southern part).
With the issuance of this circular, Advisory Circular AC: NCAA – AEROMET 27 dated March 26, 2019, is accordingly cancelled.
NCAA said that pilots/operators are therefore directed to note the following hazards and operational problems forthwith:
- Air-to-ground visibility may be considerably reduced due to dust haze;
- Aerodrome visibility may fall below the prescribed operating minima and in severe conditions, dust haze can blot out runways, markers and airfield lightings over wide areas making visual navigation extremely difficult or impossible; and
- Flights are bound to be delayed, diverted or cancelled where terminal visibility falls below the prescribed aerodrome operating minima.
On the other hand, enumerated below are series of responsibilities for Pilots, Operators and Air Traffic Controllers:
- Pilots shall exercise maximum restraint when severe weather condition is observed or forecast by Nimet;
- Flight Crews/Operators and Air Traffic Controllers (ATC) shall ensure adherence to aerodrome weather minima;
iii. All Pilots shall obtain adequate departure, en-route, destination and alternate aerodromes weather information and briefing from the aerodrome meteorological office prior to flight operations; and
- Operators shall ensure that necessary measures are put in place to cushion the effects of flight delays or cancellations on their passengers.
NCAA added that from the foregoing, it expects strict compliance from all stakeholders as violation will be seriously viewed.