Charles III and Britain's Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex walk behind the coffin of Queen Elizabeth II, adorned with a Royal Standard and the Imperial State Crown and pulled by a Gun Carriage of The King's Troop Royal Horse Artillery, during a procession from Buckingham Palace to the Palace of Westminster, in London on September 14, 2022.
Charles III and Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, during the Queen’s funeral procession in London on September 14, 2022.Getty Images
Buckingham Palace isn’t commenting on Tuesday’s car chase involving Prince Harry and Meghan Markle.
“This isn’t something we’re commenting on,” a spokesperson told Insider Wednesday. Paparazzi chased the royals for more than two hours after an event in NYC, their spokesperson said.
Buckingham Palace is declining to comment on the news that Prince Harry, Meghan Markle, and Meghan’s mom, Doria Ragland, were in a “near-catastrophic” car chase Tuesday night in New York City.
“This isn’t something we’re commenting on,” a spokesperson told Insider when asked for comment on the situation.
A “ring of highly aggressive paparazzi” chased the royals for more than two hours while they were on their way home from the Women of Vision award ceremony Tuesday night, a spokesperson for the Sussexes said, according to a statement tweeted by executive royals editor OmidScobie.
According to Scobie, the trio were chased by six vehicles with blacked out windows, so they could not see who was following them. Doria Ragland, Prince Harry, and Meghan Markle.
“This relentless pursuit, lasting over two hours, resulted in multiple near collisions involving other drivers on the road, pedestrians, and two NYPD officers,” the statement from the Sussexes’ spokesperson, shared by Scobie, said.
Scobie tweeted that the drivers committed multiple traffic violations as they pursued the Sussexes and Ragland, including “driving on a sidewalk, going through red lights, reversing down a one way street, driving while photographing and illegally blocking a moving vehicle.”
The NYPD confirmed the incident in a statement to Insider, saying “the NYPD assisted the private security team protecting the Duke and Duchess of Sussex” on Tuesday night.
“There were numerous photographers that made their transport challenging,” Julian Phillips, the deputy comissioner of public information for the NYPD, said. “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex arrived at their destination and there were no reported collisions, summonses, injuries, or arrests in regard.”
A source close to the Sussexes told Scobie the trio were “understandably shaken but thankful everyone’s safe” after the experience. Buckingham Palace has been historically quiet about Harry and Meghan’s negative experiences with the tabloid media
For instance in their 2021 interview with Oprah Winfrey, Meghan said that Kate Middleton made her cry during the week of her wedding, but the royal family didn’t comment on stories in British tabloids that said it was the other way around.
And in their 2022 Netflix docuseries “Harry & Meghan,” the prince said his family wrote off the tabloids’ treatment of Meghan as a “rite of passage,” failing to acknowledge that many of the stories written about her had racist undertones.
“What people need to understand is as far as a lot of the family were concerned, everything that she was being put through was, they had been put through as well,” he said. “So it was almost like a rite of passage.” Representatives for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex did not immediately respond to Insider’s request for comment.